Re: exim and envelope sender

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Balbir Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 07:23:19AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Robert Epprecht writes:
> > > I have recently changed to debian which implied a change from sendmail to
> > > exim.
> >
> > No, exim just happens to be the MTA that is installed by default.  Sendmail
> > is in Debian, as are several others.
> > --
> > John Hasler
> > john@dhh.gt.org
> > Dancing Horse Hill
> > Elmwood, Wisconsin
> >
> Excuse me if this is a gross misunderstanding, but dselect does not allow the installation of Sendmail and exim togeather and reports a conflict between the two. Why would this be ?
> Sincerely
> Balbir Thomas

They both want port 25 constantly.  You can't have two daemons listening
on the same port simultaneously.  So exim conflicts with sendmail (and any
other MTA like postfix), meaning that you can't have them both on the same
system at the same time.

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.