Newbie Question - Debianizing Netscape

Hi,
I am trying to install Netscape on my newly installed potato . I've downloaded the rpm and tried to do "alien -d -k -c  rpm-name" but it complains :

only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM

 So I downloaded the latest version of rpm itself (rpm-4.0.1-0.20.i386.rpm) and I am up against the same problem. Then I tried to install the rpm-4 using rpm-3 and I get the same complaint. I am stuck now .  I would't wan't to install from a tar ball . Is there another way out short of building my own deb from source ?

 Sincerely
 Balbir Thomas