Re: Weird Gnome problem, wm acts non-compliant when non-root

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 05:52:56PM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> Keep in mind that the Helix packages aren't part of Debian.  Unstable
> seems to have had pretty current GNOME packages for a while now.

Yeah, it was with some trepidation that I went with Helix in the first
place.  All in all I've been happy, though sometimes you have to wait
a day or two for dependencies to get sorted out.

I may have to try the non-Helix packages again sometime.

> NEN> I use gdm as my display manager, gnome-session as my session
> NEN> manager, and sawfish as my window manager.  For the past week or two
> NEN> I've had this weird problem: if I log in as a "normal" (non-root)
> NEN> user, the window manager acts non-gnome compliant - the desktop gmc
> NEN> icons show up in the task list applet.  Startup is painfully slow.
>
> I don't get this with an identical setup, but then I'm running the
> Debian GNOME.  YMMV.

The problem went away after some surgery :)  Read on ...

> NEN> Logging in as root "solves" this problem, but I don't view that as a
> NEN> real solution.  It sure looks like a permissions problem, but I don't
> NEN> know where to start.
>
> Well, are any interesting messages printed to your X session log (with
> xdm, in $HOME/.xsession-errors; with gdm, either there or in
> $HOME/.gnome-errors, IIRC)?  Are you running a GNOME-enabled Sawfish?
> In Debian-land, at least, the 'sawfish' package doesn't have GNOME
> support, but the 'sawfish-gnome' package does.

I do have sawfish-gnome installed; in the Helix package this seems to
consist solely of the sawfish config tool for GNOME.  Apparently the
Helix sawfish package contains GNOME hooks; it always worked that way
before :)

Nothing useful in .gnome-errors.  However, I realised that my first
post was not quite complete; I logged in as root and as nnorman, but
never did try logging in as another non-root user.  I gave that a shot
and voila, the problem disappeared!

Ok, it was obviously some misconfiguration in a file in my home dir
... I did a rm -r on the .gnome, .gnome-desktop and .sawfish dirs.
Problem remained.  Since this is a development box my $PATH is pretty
wild, so I rearranged my path additions at the end instead of the
beginning.  I also set LC_ALL to "C" (I had set it to "en_US").  I
doubt LC_ALL was the problem but it was giving me grief with ls ...

The long and the short of it is the problem has vanished.  Weird.  I
suppose $PATH was the culprit, but I don't see how.

> NEN> Does this sound familiar?  I looked at the BTS for sawfish bugs
> NEN> (though I think I've decided this isn't a sawfish bug at all).
>
> Note that bugs on Helix packages wouldn't/shouldn't be in the Debian
> BTS.  If the same bug was present in the official Debian packages,
> there might be.

In this case, the bug seems to have been "loose nut behind keyboard".

Thanks for your reply,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.