Re: dselect problems in woody

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 02:25:29PM -0600, Christopher Brand wrote:
> For roughly the last week I have had many of the packages in dselect showing
> up as obsolete.  This includes KDE, perl-5.6, netscape, and many other
> packages that I commonly use.  I thought at first that there were
> replacements for these packages with new names but I couldn't find them.
>
> My instalation is woody, and my mirror is ftp.us.debian.org.  Can anybody
> help me with this problem?

It's not a problem, just a temporary condition resulting from the
transition to package pools and the new links:

stable -> potato
testing -> woody
unstable -> sid

This gives an alternative to provide newer stuff than potato, with a
bit less risk than running unstable.  Packages from unstable are moved
to testing after 14 days if no problems have occurred.  Testing started
out a few days ago with just the packages which are linked to potato,
so anything else you had installed shows up as obsolete/local.  In
time, the other packages will show up in dselect.  If you can't (or
don't want to) wait, change sources.list to point to unstable instead
of woody.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen