Weird Gnome problem, wm acts non-compliant when non-root

Hi,

Running woody with Helix Gnome packages.

I use gdm as my display manager, gnome-session as my session
manager, and sawfish as my window manager.  For the past week or two
I've had this weird problem: if I log in as a "normal" (non-root)
user, the window manager acts non-gnome compliant - the desktop gmc
icons show up in the task list applet.  Startup is painfully slow.

Logging in as root "solves" this problem, but I don't view that as a
real solution.  It sure looks like a permissions problem, but I don't
know where to start.

I tried switching window managers (enlightenment) and had the same
problem.  I did use dpkg-reconfigure to reconfigure the xserver-common
package as the "rootonly" line had snuck into my Xwrapper.config.
Changing that to "console" didn't solve the problem.

Does this sound familiar?  I looked at the BTS for sawfish bugs
(though I think I've decided this isn't a sawfish bug at all).

Help :)

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.