Re: Today's woody update -- obsolete/local packages

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:11:36PM +0100, Defresne Sylvain wrote:
> Hello,
> * Bob Nielsen (nielsen@oz.net) wrote:
> > > 	It's because Debian has finally implemented the ``testing''
> > > 	distributions. It is a distributions sitting between the stable
> > > 	(potato) and the new unstable (sid). New package goes into
> > > 	unstable, and 14 days later, if no bugs were found it goes into
> > > 	testing (woody). For more details, consult the debian-devel
> > > 	archive (search for ``testing to be implemented on
> > > 	ftp-master'').
> >
> > I also noticed that the woody Packages files for contrib and non-free
> > are completely empty.  I guess the process isn't complete.
> >
> > The suggested search didn't return any hits.
>
> 	See the followings article and follow-ups:
>
> 	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0012/msg00011.html
> 	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0012/msg01640.html

I guess the search engine's database isn't quite up-to-date.  I did
find the post by browsing the archives. I had sort of figured it out
anyway, but the key paragraph was:

In order to make sure testing starts off on the right foot (ie, with
fewer RC bugs rather than more, and with consistent packages across
architectures, woody will be rolled back to being the same as potato
(ie, 2.2r2) before having the testing scripts applied to it.

I can certainly appreciate the perils of attempting to do it all at
once.  Presumably contrib and non-free were just zero'd out completely
and will return with the rest of the packages after the 14 day delay.

Thanks,

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net