modules.dep problems

I have just installed the 2.2.18pre21 kernel image and have problems loading the modules.
When i boot in to linux this message is shown
   depmod *** cant open dependencies files in /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep

I have played with depmod, update-modules and modules config and got very similar responses. I have uninstalled the 2.2.17 kernel image through dselect and want to use the 2.2.18 kernel.

How can i get the modules to work and configured.

Your time is much appreciated.
--
For evil to triumph it is only necessary for good men to buy Microsoft.