Kernel panic

"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:43" when starting SuSe 6.4
distro on a second hard drive. This happened after I tried to copy a file from the first hard drive to the second. I was following the directions in the Hard-Drive Upgrade mini Howto. This is what I did on the first hard drive second partition
that contains Debian 2.2.17 with no working browser:
mkdir /new-disk
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb3 /new-disk
cp -a ping/ping /dev/hdb3
I did the last step only after cp -a ping/ping /dev/hdb3/home/clay/deb was refused
with this is not a directory.
Is there any help for my stupidity?
TIA
Clay Stapleton