Re: es1370 sound stopped working

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:

 > I am running Potato with a SoundBlaster PCI64 sound card, which uses
 > the es1370 kernel module. I installed the soundcore and es1370 modules
 a couple of days ago, did a chmod a+rw to all /dev devices in group
 'audio', and everything worked fine.

 This morning I was using the Windows program Zillions of Games under
 Wine 20001202 (latest snapshot).

   I have had similar problems with this module for my Ensoniq
Soundcard. It seems to happen when a program that uses the sound does
not exit cleanly.

   The (bad) solution I use is rmmod es1370;insmod es1370. Normally this
works.

   I believe the right solution would be to try and debug this module.
Or maybe first check if it has changed in 2.4.

Thanks. I tried removing and reinstalling es1370 and soundcore with both rmmod/insmod and modconf, and rebooted a couple of times, but any attempt to play sound still hangs.

Aaargh... Does anyone have any other ideas?
--
   Ron's Info Closet: Center for Ludic Synergy, Kennexions Glass Bead Game,