Re: MP3 players

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 05:34:42PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> Ken Weingold wrote:
> >
> > Not sure now much it is, but I have something great made by Genica.
> > It looks like a discman, but plays audio CDs as well as CDR/CDRW's
> > with MP3's, so your limit is 650 megs.  Great search features, too.
> > And here's the kicker: it's $100.  50 second anti-shock - and it
> > works.
>
> Any idea on what the availability of these things are?  As in, do you know
> what, if any, retail-type stores might carry these?  Or are they mail-order
> only?  I looked around on Genica's web site but found nothing on how to
> actually buy one.

Radio Shit has one advertised in their current catalog (supposedly 'RCA"
made, but who -really- makes it is another question -- even the old
'minimus11' speakers, the only decent thing R/S has ever made now are
supposedly made by RCA).  Grab a CueCat while you're there for grins.
Availability is another question:  the Radio Shit drone insisted they
had no such thing and MP3's wouldn't work on CD's because "they come
on chips!" or something....  when I pointed it out to him in the
catalog, he insisted they not only didn't have one, they wouldn't
carry it.  Perhaps you won't have such a fool at your local Radio
Shit.

Should be able to get one at any decent or cheap stereo store, in other
words.

(Though I love my pjbox.... More expensive, but a LOT smaller: it fits
into my shirt pocket and I get 4G and ten hours worth of music out of
it...  Now I just need to find out how hard it is to upgrade the
drive... :))

--
CueCat decoder .signature by Larry Wall:
#!/usr/bin/perl -n