Upgrading to mysql3.23.28

I have potato installed, but I'm trying to install Mysql from woody.  I'm
running into a problem installing woody's version of debconf.  I've taken
care of all the other dependencies except for debconf. When I do dpkg -i
debconf_0.5.34.deb I get the following error message:

(Reading database ... 40707 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace debconf 0.2.80.17 (using debconf_0.5.34.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement debconf ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): unexpected end of file in member data in
debconf_0.5.34.deb

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -dc returned error exit status 1
dpkg: error processing debconf_0.5.34.deb (--install):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile (EOF) returned error exit status 2
 debconf_0.5.34.deb

I have perl5.6 and all of the other dependencies for debconf_0.5.34 in
place.  But it doesn't appear to be a conflict/dependency issue anyway.  Any
help would be appreciated.

eirik