Re: Installed from floppies, mounted ext pcmcia cdrom, made some progress

Carel & newsgroup:

Never could get apt-get install to work, but the following got me going:

apt-cdrom add     for each of the 3 disks
apt-get update
dselect     (Using Q option to force; was this unwise??)

dselect did install quite a few programs from cd's 1 and 2; but stopped
before cd #3.

Anyway, I now have some important directories in place, for example
X11 in /usr.  However, I can't find xfconfig or startx or gnome or kde or,
even a dialer like wvdial.  I have done updatedb; but "locate" still comes
up empty.  Can you please point me to a howto for assistance with
getting up a gnome desktop and getting a dial up terminal going??
TIA,

dave