Re: Office software - and printers

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 10:31:10AM +0000, Tom Huckstep wrote:

Hi,

> I'd like to introduce some of my friends to Debian.  However, they
> expect an OS to be simple to set up and use, and to look very nice.
hm, the very nice looking depends on the Windowmanager and the
toolkits used to build the enviroment.

> I am quite happy to set it up for them, I'm sure that they will have
> no problems getting used to the Gnome desktop environment.  However,
I prefer KDE 2.

> 1)  What office software is available (preferably free, but non-free
>     is fine) for Debian?
I use Star Office 5.2 from SUN cause I know it since the 2.0 Windos
3.1 Version. The Code is GPL'ed at www.openoffice.org
Another option is KOffice or Abi Word.

> 2)  Are there any printers recommended for use with Debian?
That's not a problem of a distribution. read www.linuxprinting.org and
find out more.
Most Laser Printers are well supported.

CU,