pppoe

Anyone here ever get pppoe working?  I have a base system installed
right now and need to get the packages.  I don't even have a compiler
or anything.  I installed the compact image so it would have support
for my 3Com NIC, which it does.  ifconfig shows eth0.  I have
Mindspring for DSL and they have pppoe for Linux at their site. It
says for Red Hat Linux, but the distribution shouldn't matter I would
think.  I downloaded it, but can't get it to work.  I got it to the
point that I type 'start-pppoe' and just get another prompt, but
nothing has happened.  I know this is not much to go on, but any
pointers would help.

Thanks.

-Ken

--