Re: linux freezes during scanning

At 11:22 PM +0100 12/8/00, GBechly@gmx.de wrote:
Hello,

I just noticed a severe problem with my scanner.
I am running Woody, and some weeks ago I updated from kernel-2.2.17
to kernel 2.4.0-test9 (both custom compiled). Everything seemed to
work wonderful, till today, when I tried to use my SCSI-scanner
(Microtek ScanMaker E3) for the first time after the upgrade.
All configurations are the same, and the scanner is recognized and
also starts scanning. However, while starting with the preview scan
Linux freezes completely with kernel panic. This happens under X (with
xscanimage or xsane) and also under console (with scanimage).
I always get the following error message:

(SCSI0:6:0) cannot abort running or disconnected command
(SCSI0:6:0) no buffers left for 6(6) bytes (data overrun?!)
(SCSI0:6:0) fifos should be empty and phase should be changed
manual transfer count differs from automatic (count=0;stcnt=6;diff=6;fifostat=6)
.
<snip>
.
Code: 8b 53 1c 89 d0 85 d2 7d 06 8d 82 ff 00 00 25 00 80 ff ff
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I actually have no idea what's going wrong.
Therefore, any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Guenter

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?

James K. Kroger, Ph.D.
Center for the Study of Brain, Mind, and Behavior
Department of Psychology
3-N-4D Green Hall
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544-1010, USA