Re: Matrox, X4 and potato (was: Re: XFree86 4.0.1 packages and Potato)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Rogerio Brito wrote:

> On Dec 05 2000, Frederik Vanrenterghem wrote:
> > Indeed, if you get it to work, PLEASE tell me too, 'cause I've been
> > trying for days now, to no aval.
>
> 	What exactly is your problem? A while back, I got a G400 to
> 	work with packages from woody (X 4.0.1-7, if I remember
> 	correctly), but I don't have that installation anymore. I also
> 	don't know if a G450 would differ significantly from a G400.

The G400 and the G450 are basically the same, the G450 has a few more
features and fixes on the DualHead part. They should both work with the
same driver.

> 	Anyway, getting X 3.3.6 to work is also very easy with a G400.
> 	I had some initial problems due to a defective board, but
> 	since I returned my card, I've had no problems.

Hmm, according to the documentation 3.3.6 only supports the G200, so if
you've got it working please tell me how...

> > I bought a Matrox, 'cause I wanted to support a company that
> > developes open source drivers, but man, I'm starting to regret that
> > decision ;-)
>
> 	Well, I thought about that a bit when I was still struggling
> 	with my defective card, but this card is so good that I'm
> 	convinced it was indeed a wise choice to pick it up. :-)

Still like the card for their 2D-quality

Thanks, Erik Noort

PS For those who used the woody-packages, that was probably before they
   changed to a new libc version, then you could just take the
   binary-packages. Now you have to recompile everything, but to recompile
   the packages you need to recompile libs and to recompile those libs you
   need to recompile other libs etc.