wrong major or minor number

I made a bad move awhile ago and accidentaly deleted my linux source.  I
're-apted' it when I needed to re-compile and everything worked fine except my
cdrom.	I have scsi emulation installed for my burner and it still works fine.
When trying to mount the normal cdrom, though, it gives me the message
'/dev/cdrom has a wrong major or minor number'.  /dev/cdrom is a symlink to
/dev/scd1.  Any ideas on how to fix this without recompiling again?

Collin