Re: Newbie (to Debian)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Colin Watson wrote:
> If you use mingetty instead of getty, the screen will be cleared by
> default (I prefer this too). Change the lines for the various virtual
> consoles to look like:

Or you could use fbgetty instead of mingetty. Both have annoying features:
mingetty is braindead when it comes to resizing the screen, and it is dead
upstream, I believe. fbgetty is too zealous in clearing the screen :-)

> >2) How can I figure out the "code name" for my distribution?  I'm

cat /etc/debian_version might help you, as well. I don't know if it's there
in older releases, but woody has it.

  Henrique Holschuh