TOT: Pointers to good introductory Linux material

One of my ex workmates has shown signs of being interested in experimenting with
Linux.  She is, however, quite knowledgeable about computers, programming IBM
mainframes for some time.

I'm planning on giving her one of the 'live CDS', probably either the Linuxcare BBC or
the SUSE 7 Live file system CD (not Debian, but _very_ cool nonetheless).  Thus she
can use it on either her work PC or work provided home PC without reformatting (plus
very safe environment .. do something bad as root, reboot, changes gone!).

This leads to my question: What can I point her to in order to give her a starting point
for 'investigating'?  Basically anything that is likely to spark her interest in Linux as a
great OS .. given her background she prefers 'hands on' style computing to GUI
buried functionality.  Any suggestions?

- Chris

PS: I don't know if I can convince her to buy/use a book, but I'll try if thats the best
route :)