Help: Replacing linuxconf user group & startup services

Hi,

I was told recently that real men don't use linuxconf. Well, since I don't
want to want to fool around with something so fundemental as my masculinity,
I figure I had better try without. I've a new install anyway and I was only
using linuxconf for two things:

1. To change my default group from jgift to users
2. To Switch off unneeded services

How can I do this from the console then?

I used: adduser jgift users

But I figure this just added me to the group and didn't make jgift's default
group users as I want.
As for the services, does it really mean poking around the init file hoping
to get lucky?

Thanks,

Jonathan