tuning scsi performance?

I kind of have 2 questions here... the first is if anyone has any tips
for tuning the performance (in my case constant throughput) of scsi
drives?

I'm trying to do some video capture but keep dropping frames even
though I'm on a U2W (2940) system. (the target drive is an empty 9G
LVD drive running reiserfs).

The second question is where can I change the settings of update?
I've found I get better performance when I run a little
while(true);sleep(1);sync() in a second window while I capture video.
I thought there would be an update command in the init.d files
somewhere, but I only see one for single user mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan
--
jjlupa@jamdata.net