Problems creating new kernel packages with make-kpkg

Hi,

I have some strange problems using make-kpkg. I'm trying to create debian
packages for a heavily patched 2.2.17 kernel. I choosed "uni" as flavour and
currently I am at revision "12". I create the packages with the command

  make-kpkg --bzImage --flavour uni --revision 12 buildpackage

The command does its job without any error messages. The new kernel-images
are in /usr/src and all seems to be fine. But if I install the new package
kernel-image-2.2.17-uni the modules in that package are all not working
because missing dependancies. Sometimes I can fix this problem with running
"make-kpkg clean" before running the above command, but this trick is not
working anymore and I don't know why. If I compile the same kernel-sources by
hand and install the kernel and the modules by myself all is working fine. I
have deleted the old module directory, reinstalled the package and
double-checked that the modules and the running kernel-image are really the
same as in the package. It's all correct, but it's not working.

And here's another strange behaviour: If I install the created package
"kernel-source-2.2.17-uni" (Doesn't matter if it is a working kernel or a
kernel with this module-error), untar it in /usr/src and run "make
menuconfig" in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17-uni I get an empty menuconfig.
These are the only entries in the menu:

   ---
   Load an Alternate Configuration File
   Save Configuration to an Alternate File