Re: Vim vs Elvis -- was "Mutt's Editor"

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 11:56:16PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 10:00:15AM -0700, Pann McCuaig wrote:
> > If you want vim to be really useful you need the vim-rt package as well.
> > I suspect that tips the balance.
>
> okay, so i
> 	# apt-get install vim vim-rt
> and vi still points to elvis, so i
> 	# update-alternatives --install `which vi` vi /usr/bin/vim 150
> to use vim as default vi, and immediately
> run into syntax difficulties in my ~/.exrc which i fix...

Try:
  o moving that ~/.exrc to something else
  o makings a symbolic link to /usr/share/vim/vimrc
  o creating a ~/.vimrc file (use /etc/vimrc as starting point)

> i get no syntax hilighting at all (the 'file ends here, so
> we'll show a tilde from here own down' is blue but that's all
> that's colored).
>
> i see there are kahuna mongo syntax files in what appears to
> be a settings dir at /usr/share/vim/vim56/syntax/* which would
> apparently be selected by /usr/share/vim/vim56/filetype.vim
> if it were called from the appropriate place at the appropriate
> time...
>
> how is that supposed to be set up? did i overlook something?
> (<snooty>elvis worked all spiffy right out of the box</snooty>...)

Vim apparently doesn't like your .exrc (or it's preventing it from using
the rest of the vim runtime files).

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found