eliminating package conflicts

I run Potato.

This concerns qt and kde, but I may well encounter a similar problem
with other combinations.

I need to replace qt1g with libqtxxx  in order to upgrade part of kde.

If I use apt-get, I'm told the newer package depends on libqtxxx and
that this is 'not installable'.

I download libqtxxx and use dselect to install it. A conflict message
says it conflicts with qt1g and I can go no further.

Trying to uninstall qt1g with dselect marks all kde packages for
removal as they depend on it.

Turning to dpkg from the command line. This also fails as I expected,
but the error message refers to 'considering removing qt1g in favour
of libqtxxx - no! cannot remove qt1g (--auto-deconfig will help)'
I've read man dpkg, but do not see how I can proceed and
am reluctant to try using an option I don't understand or trying to
'force'.

Clearly, I can uninstall all my kde packages, make the qt changes,
install the upgrades and reconfigure, but this seems a drastic way to
go.

 What do others do in such circumstances? Any advice or pointers
would be appreciated.

John.