Color Directory Listings and Modprobe

Hi, I just re-installed my Potato system after a bit of a *cough*kernel
mishap*cough*, and have done no configuration except for email and cable
modem.

In the .bashrc file for root, I have configured directory colors, but
when I try to do the same thing on my normal, it doesn't work.  Is this
some kind of bug?

Also, with this new machine, when I bootup, it tells me that
modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep.  When
I bootup, I touch the modules.dep file, but that doesn't aleviate the
problem when I reboot.  Any ideas?