Re: PHP4 & Apache

Steve,

On 11 Oct 2000, at 13:35, Steve Simons wrote:

> Could someone please explain, in idiot-level detail, how to get a .php
> file to display correctly in Netscape.

I'm currently using PHP3 and my config files have similar stuff to
yours (but without the PHP4 bits, obviously enough).

(BTW, I'm thinking of upgrading to PHP4 so if anyone out there has a
checklist or whatever of how to make it go smoothly, I'd love to hear
about it.)

> When I open it in Netscape, it wants to save it as a .php file.  I've
> tried running it from /var/www and I get the same result.  I've tried
> setting Netscape to use php for types of application/x-httpd-php but
> it just says it can't find php.

You're looking in the wrong place here. Netscape does not need to
know anything special to process PHP. It's Apache that spots that the
file is in fact a PHP script and processes it. Netscape just gets
plain old HTML.

I call my scripts scriptname.php3 (I've always done that and it's
always worked). I just tried renaming a script to .php and it didn't
work. So, my guess is that you should name your script .php4.

Hope that helps.

Liam

Liam Ward
DV4