dhcpcd weirdness

I have a box that provides network services to some other computers that is
running Potato.  It accesses the internet via cable modem, using dhcpcd to
get its IP address.  The problem I'm having is that it won't work unless I
run it with configuration options on the command line, although I have my
settings exactly the same in the /etc/dhcpc/config file, I think.

Config file:

>IFACE=eth0
>OPTIONS='-h "(hostname)"'
(also tried without "")

/etc/network/interfaces also fails to bring it up at boot-time:

>iface eth0 inet dhcp
>   hostname (hostname)

syslog sez:

>Oct 11 00:08:36 isharagi dhcpcd[188]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
>server response

It gets the address instantly if I start it as follows:

>isharagi:/# dhcpcd -h (hostname)

Whereas just typing "dhcpcd" causes it to pause for a long time, as it does
when it tries running it at boot time.  The cable modem shows activity so
it's doing something.  What am I failing to configure properly?  If these
configurations are ok, what's doing this?  It used to work so I figure I
must have
changed something and made it broken.

TIA

Andrew W.