Kernel compilation -- Error 127 after trying Make bzImage

I tried to compile a kernel from the 2.2.17-source.
Up to 'make dep' and 'make clean', everything went fine.
Make bzImage stops with following error-message:
   as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
   Make(1): as86: Command not found
   Make(1): *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
   Make: *** [bzImage] error 2

For the configuration, I have used my 2.2.14 config-file, and went
through the configuration process by checking whether everything is stil
up to date.

Does anybody know what's wrong ?

P.S. I'm no longer subscribed to this list (due to huge amount of
traffic), so please send a copy of your reply (thank you, thank you :-)
to my e-mail adress.

Ulrich