Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

>>> Randy Edwards <redwards@golgotha.net> 10/04/00 11:28AM >>>
   Has anyone seen Joe Barr's article in LinuxWorld at
<http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-09/lw-09-vcontrol_2.html>?

Debian/GNU was my first linux-installation ever. (hamm, some year ago)
And I managed it, without any knowledge of linux. I admit I had the help of a good Linux Book (from the public library) the debian-installation manual and of course by just subscribing to this list. I have learned a lot on linux and operating-systems in general, because trying to understand the debian-way.

Today I prefer Debian because of its flexible installation procedure, where I can set up a box very quick in a lot of ways, for a lot of purposes. It is also very nice to install Debian from scratch over NFS or FTP. I always did this with my RTL8139 card and the rescue disk from the debian ftp-server.

I think everyone interested in understanding Linux is able to install Debian. And if you try to understand the reasons for some procedures you will learn to love them, because the purpose the developers have in mind, is certainly not, to make your life harder, or to hide anything, because they don't want to make money. And so they are only interested in getting the work done.

Understanding this helps you getting YOUR work done, never mind what it is.

Thats one thing I learned from the Debian installation procedure.
But you already know this, because you are subscribed to this list :)

It is certainly true that there is a "barrier" for some people in installing and understanding debian, but NOT in using. - I know what percentage of new Windoze users is able to install the OS and connect to the net without help.

If the author is not able in configuring gpm or X he probably shouldn't write articles for linuxworld.com

cheers, phil