loony lilo looping

Hello everyone,
	I am running Debian 2.2 on an AMD K6-2 400 dual boot
system.  Things have been great until I tried to recompile my kernel
(2.2.15) to include PPP support.  Everything appeared to compile fine but
I was rushing through things and rather then putting the new one in /boot/
and then linking to it from /vmlinuz, I just copied the new one to
/vmlinuz (and yes, everything was backed up).  So here comes the fun
part...  I then rebooted, everything was the same.  Realized that I forgot
to run lilo, did it and rebooted.  Rather then getting the "LILO:" prompt,
I got 'L' and then a constant looping of " 01" over and over
again.  Booted off the installation disk, realized the mistake I made with
the link but didn't think that much of it since it probably doesn't matter
if vmlinuz is the kernel or a link to it.  I then put the files back as
they were and changed lilo. conf to what it was, ran lilo, and the same
thing happened.  Put the kernel on the floppy and it booted so after much
fiddling, I have determined that somehow i have screwed up lilo.  I've
looked at the lilo mini how to and the lilo crash whatever how to but have
had no luck.  even trying to dig through the list archives.  I can provide
any other info that may be needed.  I've recompiled the kernel before but
haven't ran into trouble with lilo like this.  Thanx in advance for any
help.

-Malcolm

PS - please reply directly as I am not on the list.  Thanx!