Re: Debian 2.2 and security - SecurityPortal article

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Henrique M Holschuh <hmh+debianml@rcm.org.br> writes:
> > On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > > Edited /etc/hosts.deny to read ALL:ALL to boot.
> >
> > You probably want to add portmap: ALL to /etc/hosts.deny as well,
> > just in case. ALL: ALL does not handle the portmapper for some
> > reason.
>
> In an earlier incarnation of the same machine (running potato when it
> was still frozen) I had to enable the portmapper in /etc/hosts.allow
> to get NFS mounts to work.  Looks like ALL:ALL covers portmap.

<shrugs> Well, that means whatever docs I read that in are outdated.
Somehow, it doesn't surprise me... it was a lot of time ago.

> > > Change your BIOS settings to only boot from the internal disk and
> > > password protect it.
> >
> > BIOSes are very easy to erase, you know. Some are even stupid enough

[...]

> I know BIOS passwords are not super-secure, but at least it will make
> it a fair bit more difficult for our average computer user to screw up
> the system.  Putting the machine behind locked doors is not an option.

Given the 'average computer user' in the sentence above, I am forced to
agree with you. Not that this is a Good Thing IMHO, mind you...

  Henrique Holschuh