error while installing Debian 2.2

NOTE:  Please cc me as I am not on the list due to the high volume of
messages.

I'm getting the following error while trying to install Debian 2.2:

ioctl:  LOOP_CLR_FD:  Device not configured

The attempt to extract the Rescue Floppy from disk failed

I start the install from a 1.44MB rescue floppy, put in the root floppy,
initialize the partition 'as ext2 for kernel 2.2 or better' (and
initialized the swap partition).  Then I ask it to install operating
system kernel and modules from the CD-ROM.  It works on that for a while
and then stops with an error.

>From the Alt-F3 virtual console:

----

installing kernel and modules from
/instmnt/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current

/target/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17: Input/output error

extracting Rescue Floppy from non-floppy device
/instmnt/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current failed with 1

The attempt to extract the Rescue Floppy from disk failed.

----

>From the Alt-F4 virtual console:

kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped

The system is a K6 CPU in a socket 7 motherboard, (4) 8MB 72-pin SIMMs,
modem, NE2000 clone Ethernet card, Hercules monochrome or similar video
card, Western Digital 1 gig hard disk, 4x CD-ROM.  This system runs Debian
2.0 and 2.1 just perfect.

The CD is "Debian 2.2 CDR (6 D Set)" from LSL.

Any suggestions for getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick Olson