Re: 2.2.17 upgrade

Hi Dan,
The first go around it told me to rename the modules directory for
2.2.17 to 2.2.17.old, which I didn't do. Instead I just went ahead and
continued. When I rebooted the machine, I was back into the old 2.2.16
kernel. So I did the dpkg -i (mykernel*..) only this time renaming the
module directory as suggested. when I tried to reboot, none of the
modules were inserted, thus no eth0, etc.. So I booted up with the boot
floppy I made and everything works just fine.

Daniel E. Baumann (baumannd@msoe.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Dale L . Morris wrote:
> > I installed the 2.2.17 kernel over 2.2.16 using the make-kpkg
> > option. I'm having a problem getting lilo to boot the 2.2.17 kernel,
> > if I 'cd /' then run '/sbin/lilo' the machine boots up without any drivers
> > for eth0 or sound. If I run 'lilo -L' from / it boots up the old 2.2.16
> > kernel. The only way I can boot into 2.2.17 is to use the boot floppy
> > I made. I know this is simple, but what do I need to do to map lilo to
> > 2.2.17?
> > thanks
> >
> > --
> >

> > "Know thyself.."
> >

> > --
>
> Odd. It should've run lilo for you and backed up the old kernel. When you did
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.xx<version>.deb did it run lilo? Didn't it also copy
> the modules into /lib/modules/2.2.17? I had no problems whatsoever using
> make-kpkg. Did you configure the proper modules for the new kernel? You have
> to enable module support, too. I need a little more information from you.
> What output do you get when running make-kpkg?
>
> Did you install the Debain package that it created? Sounds like you may have
> skipped that.
>
> Dan
> Daniel E. Baumann
> E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
>         baumannd@trio.msoe.edu
>         baumannd@penguinpowered.com
>         baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS
> 																								service, may bounce)
>
> Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
>                 http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd
>
> "Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."
>
>       -- Dave Olson

"Know thyself.."