Mailing list software.

I'm wondering if anyone has reccomendations for mailing list software.
I need to maintain something like 10 lists, with maybe 10 people per
list.  Users should be able to subscribe and unsubscribe, but I wish to
limit which addresses may subscribe. If possible, maybe a list of
addresses which are permitted to subscribe to each list?  The idea is
that these are private mailing lists and I dont want just anyone
joining (security through obscurity is bad ;). The list software should
keep an archive of the list in some sort of html format with okay
navigation - threads are good.  Does such a piece of software exist?
 Thanks :)

Mathew Johnston