installing USB devices under storm linux

I have a USB 3com USR 56K modem and a USB Alps MD-5000 printer that I'm
having trouble installing on storm (hail), Starter Edition that I purchased
recently.

I haven't tackled the printer yet, but according the 2.2.16 docs (acm.txt),
I need to load usbcore.o, usb-[uo]hci.o or uhci.o, and acm.o. The only one I
can find is acm.o. Apparently the other 2 modules are missing. I tried to
get into make menuconfig, but I get an lxdialog error (I'm at a different
site right now, so I don't have the exact message) make xconfig also gives
me an error. And speaking of compiling kernels anyone know where can I find
the .config for the 2.2.16 that was shipped to me?

I've downloaded dialog, but there seems some packages missing in the Starter
Edition and since I can't connect to the net, I am unable to download
packages. Anyone know if there somewhere that I can go to download an .iso
(maybe of Deluxe Edition) with all the packages?

Charles Lewis
lewisc@delta.swau.edu