Re: Procmail

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 03:59:10AM -0500, Will Trillich wrote
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 07:35:07PM -0700, Dale L . Morris wrote:
> > I'm setting up procmail on my system. I've done this in the past
> > successfully using Redhat 6.2 and sendmail, but I have a couple of
> > questions about Debian and exim.
> > 1. Do I need a .forward file? Or is .procmailrc enough?
>
> imagine needing to kill a mosquito, and having someone hand
> you an atomic-powered, planet-smashing axe. that's how i think
> of what you can do with procmail recipes. i'm pretty sure
> [y'all stomp on me if i'm off, here] that a .forward file would
> be a tepid, drab subset of the things you can do in .procmailrc
> file.

Most mta's don't, by default, run procmail as an MDA. Depending
on your MTA and how it's configured, you may need a .forward
file to get procmail actually run; if you're using Exim, a
.forward file containing just the line

|/usr/bin/procmail

should be enough.  If you're running something else, check your
MTA's (or procmail's) documentation to see if you need a
.forward file, amd what you'ld put in it.

> > 2. Do I need to have mh installed?
>
> well, i don't. draw your own conclusions. :)

Not unless you want to read your mail using mh,
or use a mailer that relies on mh.  Even then, you
can use nmh instead.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au