Re: Password decrypting ? Sendmail problems ?

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:56:03 PDT, Nate Amsden writes:
>Robert Waldner wrote:
>> go to freshmeat.net and search for john, it´s a (more or less) brute
>> -force password-cracker, if he was silly enough to choose an insecure
>> password, you´re there.
>
>thats one of the downsides to non-US systems, looks like that box is
>german, finding dictionaries for foreign languages can be
>difficult(finding good ones too) not that i've cracked any password
>files for 5-6 years maybe things have changed..

hmm, my regular attempts here at work (in .at, german speaking) with
john were getting results mostly after half an hours worth of computing.

Password quality has been _much_ improved by my regular sessions with
john ;-).

My guess is (haven´t had a really close look at the documentation,
though) that john simply leaves out all characters but lowercase und
numbers. This greatly reduces the maximum number of possiblities...

&rw
--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /