Potato CD doesn't seem bootable

Hi all,

1)  I downloaded the i386 version of binary-i386-1.iso
     on a windows machine with a free, fast connection,
2)  burned the image onto a cd,
3)  and tried to use the cd to install debian 2.2 on my laptop.

The problem is that my laptop (an "old" toshiba 440-cdt) doesn't
boot the CD-rom, it just boots up the already-installed linux 2.1
I have checked BIOS to make sure the cdrom is bootable, and my
computer boots my old debian 2.1 cds just fine.

I've looked at the contents of the burned CD: It seems readable,
and there are lots of folders and directories on it, so I assume it
got copied ok....

Any ideas?
Thanks much for any help

Pete