weird ssh message

Starting today, for no obvious reason, when I ssh out from my (one and
only remaining) slink box, I get this message twice:

Warning: cannot stat authentication directory /tmp/ssh-itz

after that, the connection proceeds successfully.

I notice there's a directory /tmp/ssh-blahblah (or similar:) on the
destination box, owned by me and permed 700, but of course no
/tmp/ssh-itz.

The destination machines are potatoes :-)

This does not happen for connections in the other direction, nor did I
ever notice it before in this direction.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source