Re: apt-get

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 10:17:02AM +1000, John Griffiths wrote:
>> can anyone point me to a really good resource for how to use apt-get?
>>
>> NO NOT THE MAN PAGE PLEASE!!! please?
>>
>> in particular i'm running potato but i want some woody packages...
>
>Don't use apt-get for this (other than to mark the packages held so they
>aren't updated behind your back).  Grab the packages yourself from a
>download site, and install them with dpkg.
>
>For information:  man dpkg or 'dpkg --help'.

OK this answers my first question and i do appreciate it.

which leaves with the second issue of installing and configuring apache/php on debian potato.

in 2 days time some friends and i are sitting down to configure some servers for our own use. we know how to get things running under linux-for-dummies (mandrake) and will if we have to.

but if someone could point me at the resources for doing this in debian (i have a full potato CD set) or walk me slowly through it. i would appreciate it.

Regards,

John