printing FAQ? (simple parallel)

This must be simple, but I can't find a faq, only a howto for printing.

I have gs-aladdin, gsfonts, gv, lpd, and alladin installed.  I used
magicfilterconfig to create /etc/printcap, which looks like this:

-- #
# Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
# provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
# to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the
University
# may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
# software without specific prior written permission. This software
# is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
#
#       @(#)etc.printcap        5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#
# This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
#
lp|ljet2p|HP LaserJet IIP:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet2p:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet2p-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

however, lpq reveals:

fac13:/home/hawk# lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       1    .Xauthority                           50 bytes
2nd    hawk       2    test.ps                               8669 bytes

The printer is online, and I can cat to it and cause output (which would
get
me by if it was a postscript printer . . .)

I start and stop the daemon, but nothing happens.

I've tried playing around with lines like

 gs -sDEVICE=ljet2p -sOutputfile= | cat > /dev/lp0 syllabus.f00.micro.ps

also to no avail

I think I'm stuck

help! :)

Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
dochawk@psu.edu
These opinions will not be those of Penn State until it pays my
retainer.