Re: Potato vs Realtek8029PCI NIC

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 09:33:45PM +0200, Vitux wrote
> Trying to build a tiny lan here...
> Recompile fresh 2.2.16 with the ne2k-pci driver as module.
> No signs of nic when booting, insmod ne2k-pci.o gives me "unresolved
> symbols"-error, and ifconfig -yadayada gives me error to the effect
> that there's no hardware to configure.
>
> So the question is: to nic or not to nic?
>
> I've determined that the kmod-bit works (all the other modules are
> inserted automagically on request), and little lights are shining
> from nic and hub.
>
> Is there any other voodoo I have to do to get the card recognised/
> installed/ configured/ whatever?
> It said in a howto somewhere (I forget which, I've pored over so
> many of'em lately;-), that the Realtek RTL8029 is a NE2000-clone,
> and so should use the driver for same... Right?!

# modprobe ne2k-pci

Ne2k-pci, like many other modules, depends on other bits
that may also be built as modules.  insmod alone won't
work, unless the other bits are already present; modprobe
handles module dependencies for you.

Assuming that works, just adding ne2k-pci to /etc/modules should
do the trick on a more permanent basis.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au