Re: We really need a FAQ!

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 07:46:11PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:16:08PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 09:51:45PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> > > Here's my first cut of questions that ought to be in a debian-users FAQ:
> >
> > if only someone had this started up when i was getting
>
> As you no doubt have seen from the list, they did.  I'd lost track of
> it long ago (http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/), but it was helpful when
> I saw it.  It does need more promotion on debian-users though.

i've known about the current faq... i get the impression someone
got off to a good start with a 'user-centric' approach, and then
got lost in the quagmire of 'structure it the way the developers
think about it'.

i have no truck with any of its contents; it's just not conducive
to a newbie, who's looking for an answer to a certain question
or issue, to learn what she needs to learn.

> Lots of your items were good ones, and we should see if they can be
> incorporated, or if they need to be (I've no idea how current the
> original version is; have to go over it again).

one thing's for certain -- the FOM (faq-o-matic) is waaaay out
of date. (how to upgrade to hamm, for example.)

> I'll keep following this thread and decide what to do about it in a few
> days.

i'd love to see some activity from the general user community
on this issue. the official web and documentation folks are
quite busy, and i think we'd have a better shot at gearing it
towards 'the newbies we were last month' than they would, anyway...