restrict root access to physical console

Hello:

Is there some way to restrict root access to the physical terminal connected to my machine? I recently had a server rooted and I'm starting from scratch with serious security in mind. If I did restrict root access as above, would that successfully thwart root exploits?

Also, is there a Debian security HowTo anywhere? I've looked and can only find general linux info (which is good) and RedHat specific stuff.

TIA