Re: I am now totally confused about modules

David Z Maze <dmaze@MIT.EDU> writes:

> bsamuels  <bsamuels@datamansys.co.uk> writes:
> BS> I have also noticed the follow errors in the log when I play a CD:
> BS>
> BS> Aug 22 10:45:56 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
> BS> Aug 22 10:45:56 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
>
> Hmm, that's odd.  (Those messages would be produced by the 'soundcore'
> module loading.)

Those messages are related to the alsa modules. I guess you have installed
some alsa packages. You should look at /etc/modutils/alsa. In that
file, I have added the following line:

alias snd-card-0 gus

because I have a GUS compatible card.
Note that in /etc/modutils/aliases I have:

options gus io=0x220 irq=15 dma=6 dma16=-1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388

to configure my GUS card.

In short the alsa modules uses the OSS sound modules to provide sound
for your system.

Chris

--
"Man is distinguished from all other creatures by
the faculty of laughter."