Potato keeps waking up?!

My apologies if this is a FAQ, but I'm stumped here.
System: Compaq Deskpro PII350, 128Mb ram, Potato (upgraded from
Slink). Fresh recompiled 2.2.16. Stand-alone box using an
ISDN-connection via ppp.

The bios has a lot of very nice power-saving facilities, which seem
to function fine, but Potato keeps spinning the disk up every 20
minutes just for a very short burst of activity, and then spins down
again after a while.

I disabled the "MARK" in the logs (and some other redundant
logging), and set cron to only run exim hourly (by which I learned a
whole lot and cut the spin-ups by 50%), but I'm still not satisfied;
I would like to have the box sleep completely and maybe only spin
the drive once every hour or even less often.

What puzzles me most is: I just can't figure out what keeps spinning
the disk?!
I can't find any ref's to it in the logs or in cron-whatever...
If necessary I could post some of my log-files?!

BTW: How do you empty logs? Can you just delete'em?

Best Regards
Vitux

--
"I'm not a crook"