Re: slow inetd

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Mike wrote:

> It seems like a resolver problem to me as well but I'm not running a DNS
> locally and I do have the local ip address of the windows machine in
> /etc/hosts.  In anything required in hosts besides a one line entry with
> the ip address?
>
> >Triple-check your DNS resolution, particularly reverse resolution.
>
> resolv.conf is typical, with my remote dns entries in it.  Hosts has the ip
> addresses of the windows machines.  What else does checking the DNS
> resolution involve?

I missed the first part of this, but is the slow service perchanced
wrapped by tcpwrappers? (ie: /usr/sbin/tcpd).

If so, check /etc/hosts.deny for the paranoid option:
#
# The PARANOID wildcard matches any host whose name does not match its
# address.

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon