XFree86 3.3.6 configuration in potato (D2.2)

Hello ALL!

    I've just installed in my system a Voodoo3 2000 PCI. My Debian
box is the stable potato (Debian 2.2r1). I've made a apt-get
install task-x-window-system and the Xfree86 installed is 3.3.6.
Then I've done a apt-get install xserver-svga and the system
asks for configuration. It invoke XF86setup and I've setted the
card as "Voodoo3 (generic)" and the videomode as 800x600 16bpp.
When I click "Done" the system switch to text mode and states:
"Attempting to start X server..." and it fails saying: "X11UnixSocket<something
here>: errno: 111"
    How can I fix it?
    My kernel version is 2.2.16 (which I've compiled myself).
    I've actually tried to compile 3dfx.o driver (as Aaron Maxwell)
recommends in his message to this list: "Re: voodoo3 board not
found -FIXED (micro-howto)(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0007/msg02482.html)".
I failed to compile because the system didn't located the modversions.h
(which I don't have!!!). I've already search for it, but my kernel-2.2.16.tar.gz
misses it. Anyway, I don't know if this driver is needed, I just
want to play Quake in fullscreen and to have a decent X Desktop.
    Any help? Any ideas?

    BTW, I am sorry by my bad english, but I am brazilian!!!
And, I am sorry by this looooooooong message.

    TIA,

    []s
         TheSpectra (AKA Pablo Lorenzzoni)

-----