Win98 won't shutdown after Linux install

I'm a casual user of Linux and have some familiarity with several
distributions.  I recently bought a new computer and installed Win98
first, then paritioned the drive (using DiskDrake during a Mandrake
install) and installed several distributions, including Debian 2.2 and
Storm.  Since partitioning my drive, Win98 has refused to shut down
cleanly and has given me the error "WINDOWS:  A fatal exception 0E has
occurred at 0028:C00051EF in VXD VMM(01) + 000041EF.  The current
application will be terminated."  After pressing any key, the screen
reverts to a blank green background with the mouse pointer in the
middle, but the machine is totally unresponsive.  I have to do a hard
boot to get things going again.  None of my Linux install are affected,
and after cleaning itself up, Win98 seems fine, too.

I realize this is NOT a M$ support list.  But I thought I might find a
kind soul here who has dealt with this problem or could refer me to the
right group.  Thanks for any help offered.

Jonathan