How to upgrade to Potato via network with small hard disk

How do I upgrade from Slink to Potato on a networked system with a small
hard disk? I am using apt-get to upgrade and there is not enough room in
/var/cache/apt/archives to download all the upgrade files at once. Is there
a way to upgrade in multiple steps so that I don't have to download all of
the packages at once? Apt-get tells me that there are 130 packages to be
upgraded plus 43 new.

Jeff

---
Jeffrey Austen       |  Tennessee Technological University
jausten@tntech.edu   |  Box 5004
+1-931-372-3485      |  Cookeville Tennessee 38505   U.S.A.